Within the next decade the number of seniors in Hamilton will double. In order to facilitate successful ageing, CityHousing Hamilton (CHH) provides senior residents with wellness programs. However, low engagement in these programs means residents are not receiving information on identifying and managing chronic illnesses, which threatens the sustainability of our healthcare system.
What can we do to overcome the barriers seniors face when engaging with wellness programs offered by CityHousing Hamilton?
- Created study design and applied for Research Ethics approval
- Conducted a survey of staff on the barriers of resident engagement
- Compiled a summary report with information from staff, students, and program instructors on the most prominent barriers to engagement, finding them to be language, mobility and eyesight
- Developed a focused survey for to clarify and confirm our initial findings from our staff surveys
- Implement multiple trials of proposed solutions which may include new promotional and/or engagement strategies
- Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of each trial to provide information on lessons learned, and recommendations for long-term use
- Share finds through a presentation and report to CHH